Aldershot has historically always been a centre for sport. The town was the venue of the first ever football match played by English schoolboys against a team from France. A plaque in Holy Trinity Church, Guildford Road commemorates this and is a reminder of Aldershot's claim to be the birthplace of the modern game. Aldershot FC have competed in all four divisions of the Football League and won the old First Division title in 1955–56.
After being elected from the Southern League, they won two successive promotions in 1992–93 and 1993–94, under manager Mickey Lewis, to reach Division Two, This Is Hampshire (thisishampshire.co.uk). However, Aldershot were relegated back to the non-league after only one season. They are now competing in. Athletics competitions are held at the Aldershot Military Stadium. The stadium is located on the North Downs Way, and from there it is possible to see Windsor Castle in the distance. In front of the stand is The Prisoner Hollow which contains the old Goal Post.
On 6 April 1924, Michael Keogh’s record for the 100 yards was beaten by Joseph Hudson running 10. 3 seconds in his last race before going on to win Gold in Paris 24 hours later for Great Britain and Ireland. Aldershot's athletics club, Aldershot, Farnham & District AC (AFD), which was the last major UK club to admit women for many years, having held out as late as the early 1990s before relenting with a sense of inevitability, has historically specialized in middle distance and endurance events.
The home of AFD is Aldershot Military Stadium on Queens Avenue, which opened in 1926. Aldershot & District A. C. is a very historical athletics club. It is one of the oldest clubs in Great Britain, having been established in 1865. The then president of the club observed that the tram ride from Farnham to Aldershot cost 3d and that local races were hard to come by and so Aldershot & Farnham A. C. was born.
Aldershot Cricket Club was established in 1855. Between 1973 and 1996 the club played at Bordon, but after a move back to Aldershot in 1996 it began to make steady progress up the league system. It won promotion to the Surrey Championship in 1999, reached the final of the National Knockout Cup in 2000 and won promotion again to join the full Surrey Championship in 2001. The club has played there ever since, usually finishing mid-table.
Aldershot Cricket Club is the Local Professional Cricket Club. As well as a venue for home games, it also acts as a centre of excellence for players from all over Hampshire, Surrey and Berkshire. In addition, the club hosts various tournaments to help raise funds to support the juniors of tomorrow. There are a number of ways in which you can get involved including coaching and sponsoring the team. [/edit]. Aldershot is also home to a very successful junior football club: AFC Stamco, who are currently the reigning champions of the Hammersmith & Fulham Junior Football League.
Aldershot Cricket Club is an English cricket club in the town of Aldershot in Hampshire. The club shares facilities with Aldershot and Farnham Hockey Club. There are a growing number of athletics clubs in the area, including Aldershot, Farnham & District A. C., Farnborough Harriers AC and Fleet Road Runners. Each of these clubs is based at their corresponding running tracks situated around Aldershot. The majority group has 51 councillors, making it the biggest political group in Hampshire County Council.
The North Hampshire Hospital is the main local hospital for people living in Aldershot and the surrounding areas. The A&E department at North Hampshire Hospital has become a preferred choice of place for some residents to be treated, rather than going to their GP or to the local A & E at Frimley Park Hospital. It is smaller than Frimley Park, quieter, and not so far away. In August 2008 there were plans by NHS South-East London to downgrade the hospital from its current acute services general hospital to a less capable urgent treatment hospital; but these were dropped in September 2008 after protest from local people.
There are many primary schools in Aldershot. The secondary schools include one academy, one comprehensive, two secondary moderns and three grammar schools. These will be joined by two new primary schools being built as part of the Aldershot Urban extension development of 3,850 houses. This development will also be served by a further 675 secondary school places being created at the Alderwood and Wavell schools. In addition, there are various special schools in Aldershot.
This is the newest development on the Framework, being designed by Dubberly, and is an exciting opportunity to design a building unlike any other. There are various schools in Aldershot. These will be joined by two new primary schools being built as part of the Aldershot Urban extension development of 3,850 houses. This development will also be served by a further 675 secondary school places being created at the Alderwood and Wavell schools. Alderwood School which opened in September 2009 has capacity for 150 pupils between the ages of 13 and 16.
It was created on the site of an old farm with 4 modern buildings and is a smaller version of what is planned for Wavell School. The University of Portsmouth has a campus in Aldershot, and the University of Southampton has a campus at St Mark's Camp. The London South East Colleges Group (LSEC) is also planning to build a branch college in the town in 2012. There are various schools in Aldershot, they include the comprehensive schools of St.
Government And Infrastructure
Farnborough has had military importance for 300 years, since its founding in 1690 by the Duke of Schomberg as a barracks town for the newly formed Queen's Regiment of Foot (Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment today). Farnborough was the home of the Royal Flying Corps (later Royal Air Force) during the First World War. In March 1913, the RFC established Britain's first flying training school at Farnborough airfield (today known as Farnborough Airport). This location became the RAF's main training establishment for pilots and observers, which it remained throughout the inter-war period, and where British pilots learned to fly on European battlefields during World War I.
The AAIB is independent of the Government and industry and exists to investigate civil aircraft accidents and serious incidents in the UK effectively, efficiently, and with the objectivity necessary for its work to be credible in the eyes of the public, survivors, their families, and the wider aviation industry. Originally based in London in 1947, after a restructuring of British Transport accident investigation bodies that took place in 1978, it was moved to make it more effective.
I hope they can get a team out as soon as possible, for the sake of travelers and security/safety. > The Health Protection Agency hosts a national surveillance centre for the management of gastrointestinal viral infections along with other facilities including the National Patient Safety Agency, NHS Safety executive, National Infection Service, and UK national reference laboratory. Hospital-acquired infection is reduced by patient screening and public awareness campaigns. The house is in the ownership of Hampshire County Council and is leased to the Ministry of Defence (MOD) as an office facility for the AAIB, the UK's air accident investigation agency.
It's that time again. The best time of the year is almost here. It's time for the greyhound racing at Aldershot Stadium in Tongham. This event takes place every year and we can't wait to attend our first race. We have been going to this event since we moved to this town about 2 years ago, which is when the greyhound racing started taking place regularly again after a very long break. So, if you are interested in getting a chance to see some greyhounds race it will take place twice, once on June 6th and the other one on July 4th.
Greyhound racing took place regularly at Aldershot Stadium in Tongham during the 1950s, and hosted competitions such as the Hampshire Staghound Final. The stadium was situated on the east side of London Road, adjacent to the Portsmouth Road (A31) junction. Today this is a Morrisons supermarket. Greyhound racing took place regularly at Aldershot Stadium in Tongham during the 1950s. On 13 March 1965 it saw the highest ever attendance for a greyhound meeting when 18,000 spectators were attracted to an evening meeting.
Greyhound racing took place regularly at Aldershot Stadium in Tongham during the 1950s. The stadium opened in 1934 and other sports and racing events were held there as well as boxing, folk dancing and circuses. Greyhound racing took place regularly at Aldershot Stadium in Tongham during the 1950s. It was designed by the leading architect of the period Robert Kerr. There is also a British headquarters of ISO (International Organization for Standardization) on the Blackwater Park estate in Farnborough.
Most of the famous landmarks of Gibraltar are located along the northern shore. These include Europa Point, which is named after the statue of Europa that stood there from 1925 to 1957, but now stands in front of The Convent; a newer statue of Europa, erected in 1988, is located at Victoria Stadium. Next to the stadium are Gibraltar's Parliament building and the City Hall. The statue was cast at H M Factory, Woolwich in London and shipped to Gibraltar in 8 months.
It was then taken by oxen to the top of the rock from where it was winched into place. There are 365 steps on the way up plus a red light before your final step. The sight from the top is incredible and you get an excellent sense of Gibralt's size. Around the base of the statue are four relief panels by L. C. Wimperis showing the advance of the troops at the battle and their subsequent retreat.
Leisure And Recreation
Leisure and recreation play a key role in the city’s economy, as they generate over £100 million per annum in GVA to the local economy making this sector one of the largest contributors to the Edinburgh economy outside of financial services and the public sector. In 2009, Edinburgh was ranked ninth in the top 10 shopping destinations by Retail Leisure International and. Eden Court and the Corn Exchange are also popular venues for musicals, plays, concerts and films.
The Botanic Gardens has featured in several films. In 2005 it was a filming location for Richard Curtis's comedy-drama Love Actually, which starred Hugh Grant. The most prominent theatre is the Pavilion Theatre, which regularly features popular musicals. The city is a major retail centre with many shopping centres and arcades, and in the pedestrianised area of Renfield Lane, Glasgow's main shopping street, there are several distinct areas including the Italian Centre, Brook Street, the Boulevard, and the St.
Enoch Centre. There are also few independent cinemas which screen films newly released on DVD (e. g. The Broadway Cinema hosts rare old movies and the Cameo Cinema shows cult films). On its opening in 1854 (the same year as the Battle of Balaclava) it was one of the first monuments to be lit by public electricity. Michael's Academy and Parkside Community College, and the independent school of Aldershot Muslim School.
The Australian children television drama series Skyways, which ran from 1985 to 1987 on the Seven Network was filmed at several locations in Stirling. As well as the main studio set at the disused RAF Station Archerfield Airport, other sets were maintained at the old West Cavalry Barracks (now largely demolished), the stables at Saint John's Wood, and Shenton Park Boat Shed. Location filming. The barrack scenes in the 1968 film The Charge of the Light Brigade starring David Hemmings and Trevor Howard were filmed at the old West Cavalry Barracks (now largely demolished).
The gates of the West Cavalry Barracks also stood in as the prison gates for the 1960 film Two-Way Stretch starring Peter Sellers, Wilfrid Hyde-White and Lionel Jeffries. Although the barracks were not used in the filming of Zulu Dawn, a scene involving Richard Burton was filmed in the offices of The Castle Hotel. The porter’s lodge from the hotel has been preserved at the entrance to the King George V playing fields and is a listed building in its own right.
St Albans itself was not used in the filming of Two-Way Stretch with the city's streets being recreated at Twickenham Studios using scale models. The same technique was also used for the films Give us the Moon, Down to Earth, A King in New York and Calamity the Cow. Filming also took place at Clapham Common and Beaulieu. The prison scenes in the 1999 comedy film Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels starring Nick Moran and Chris Martin were filmed at HMP Wandsworth, which was the largest category A prison in Western Europe.
For national commercial radio, the town is in the coverage area of the South Hampshire and parts of Surrey region of the Bruno Kitney network, and it is also served by a relay of BBC Radio Solent on 96. 4 FM. For commercial television, Aldershot is in the ITV London News Network region, and some parts are in Tandridge, which lies just across the county boundary in Surrey. There is no Channel 4 local TV news service for this part of the country.
The main local newspaper is the Advertiser & News Shopper published by the Newsquest Media Group, based in Milton Keynes. This is a free newspaper and comes out every Wednesday. The Surrey Herald is another daily paid-for paper published by the same company. The Courier is a weekly free local newspaper distributed in both Hampshire & Surrey with a circulation of just under 10,000. The Meridian television transmitter, for Channels 3 & 4 is atop Bucks Hill, and provides a full region-wide signal.
Notable People From Aldershot
One of the most famous residents of Aldershot at the turn of the 20th century was George Nathaniel, 1st Earl of Buxton, a Liberal Party politician who was involved in the movement to abolish slavery. He lived in a large house next to the Royal Garrison Church until his death in 1908. Following a by-election in which he stood against Unionist opposition, Buxton was elected as member for Portsmouth in May 1900. Buxton had meetings with Jan Smuts and General Kitchener during World War I.
After negotiations with South African government officials, Lord Buxton helped General Louis Botha raise volunteers for military service from among British residents there. A most notable person from Aldershot was Captain Henry Havelock VC, one of the Generals in the Indian Mutiny 1857 who was the inspiration for Rudyard Kipling's poem "The Gadsbys" in which the famous line "Half a league, half a league, / Half a league onward!" occurs, in which he commanded a small force that defeated an army of 5,000 at Reshire on 21 April 1858.
It is mentioned in Alan Moore's novel The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. The 1969 British crime film The Italian Job was filmed around the town. Studio filming took place at the old West Cavalry Barracks (now demolished). Some of the other locations that feature in the film include the Suspension Bridge, South Parade and Logue's Fort. The Oak Tree Cafe on London Road was used for a scene. Within range of the reception area is an RT broadcast transmitter (Aldershot) with two RAs (Aldershot & Guildford), which broadcasts radio for the majority of the day for Southampton on 96.
The 1948 Olympic Games saw Aldershot emerge as an Olympic venue for the second time after hosting the equestrian events at the 1908 Summer Olympics. The swimming and fencing events were located at Aldershot Lido, while the cross-country equestrian event was held at Tweseldown on Salisbury Plain. One of the original homes of British modern pentathlon, Aldershot hosted pentathlon competitions in 1908 and 1948. The Aquatic Stadium was built in time for the 1948 Olympics, and three events took place there during the Olympics proper.
Parks And Open Spaces
The Princes Gardens at the south of the town centre are a formal garden set out in an Italianate style. For most of the year they contain a collection of plants in colourful beds, but during the summer months these beds are removed and replaced with rows of deck chairs so that locals and visitors can enjoy free classical music concerts. Most famous are the Wednesday evening concerts organised by Aldershot Music in the Park.
Apart from these events, and those provided by local groups such as St John's Church or Queen's Chapel, there are few public events or other attractions. In April 2008, it was announced that the Aldershot Military Town would get a new town park of 16 hectares (40 acres), the Aldershot Garrison Forest Park. The park is intended as a wildlife haven and will also have a monument to commemorate the fallen soldiers during Queen Victoria's reign.
There are also extensions to the nearby Frimley Lodge Park on Frimley Green Road, providing new recreational facilities for both young and old in the community. Directly south of the town centre is Aldershot Park, which has been a recreational area since the time of the Dukes. It serves today as an important space for passive recreation in the area and is home to the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers regimental memorial, built by Andrew Handyside in 1921.
Aldershot has many parks, playgrounds and open spaces for sport, play and leisure, including Aldershot Park, Brickfields Country Park, the Municipal Gardens, Manor Park and the Princes Gardens, the latter three a short walk from the town centre. There are 145 parks, gardens and open spaces in Woking Borough for the enjoyment of its residents. Aldershot Garrison has 45 parks with many having their own unique character and facilities. The Princes Gardens is home to the annual Aldershot Carnival, hosting non-stop live entertainment and catering for all ages and tastes.
When a new commanding officer, Colonel R. L. E. Paddock arrived in 1962, the guard-room was rebuilt and six heavy wooden doors were fitted with glass windows. Two wooden guard towers were re-erected at the main gate on either side of the portcullis, each on three storeys, allowing the guards to see out over the whole exercise area, while at ground level a sentry box was built into one of the towers alongside the portcullis.
The two other towers at the front gate by this time had been removed. In the 1970s, the Territorial Army Depot at Chattenden was formally taken over by the British Army as an Equipment Holding & Distribution Depot, and became known as "The Tod". During this period, a major re-construction programme of all the barracks took place, and a new "defence" store was built (through which a large majority of all individual soldiers'equipment must pass).
The depot began to supply equipment to many overseas military organisations. It is no coincidence that twenty architectural firms were awarded the contract to rebuild the barracks. The scale of the task was tremendous, and the government had to invite outside contractors to complete the work. The twenty firms each submitted an economic plan for rebuilding the barracks, and then worked with the government on a schedule for completing each aspect of the project. The Westfield Centre, a large shopping mall, was built in the centre of the site in 1979–89 with some slight disruption to the barracks.
A number of commercial buildings were subsequently built over the eastern part of the barracks, whilst other parts have reverted to green space. It is now a grade II listed building, and is perhaps best known for housing the popular Beatles band member John Lennon when he was briefly an architecture student at the Liverpool College of Art. Despite its Olympic history, this was Aldershot’s last major sporting event; its time as a major town seemed to have passed.
Rock music is a genre of popular music that originated in the 1950s. It has its roots in 1940s and 1950s rock & roll, itself a fusion of blues with country and western and rhythm & blues. Rock music has also been heavily influenced by UK Subcultures, which include indie, punk, metal and mod. Rock music is an eclectic mix of musical styles which developed since the mid-50s when recorded (analogue) music was first available.
Early styles were generally derivative on three main US sources: Blues (or electric Chicago blues), Country (or hillbilly) and Negro R&B (or chitlin'circuit). The Aldershot and Farnham area also gained notoriety for a series of musical events in the 1990s, predominantly but not exclusively featuring local rock bands "The Bare Fax at the Fridge" (1993), "Aldershot Rocks" (1994) organised by Chisel Promotions (re-branded Aldershot Rocks Productions in 1995) and the Split Gallery venue.
The following year, Loaded magazine held its fifth birthday party at Aldershot Town Hall with The Verve as a headliner. 4. 1 Rock music. Rock music has been prominent in Aldershot since the 1960s. Local bands would often play concert dates at the Royal Hampshire Regiment Depot and Southampton's "Northam" Small Ships Club with many bands getting a chance to appear on national television via the BBC 'Sight and Sound'programmes which were broadcast from a regular studio in Aldershot hosted by Chris Grant.
Many of these local bands went on to become professional acts. On the outskirts of Aldershot stands the sprawling Aldershot Garrison, home to the British Army. The Royal Logistics Corps (formerly the Royal Corps of Transport) was formed in 1972. It now has around 1,200 soldiers and 650 civilian staff based at the garrison. Rock music, much like many other genres, has been used in the creation of a number pieces for films. The film Alive, based upon a true story is about Uruguayan rugby team that crashed while flying on the way to Chile.
Speedway racing was staged at Aldershot Stadium between 1929 and 1950, with the stadium also hosting greyhound racing. The first promotions were held in 1929 and 1930 and featured visiting American stars such as Swedish-born brothers Oscar and Evert Mirrielees. For much of the venue's history, racing took place outside from May to September each year. The track saw riders from all over Britain compete in events sanctioned by the National Cycling Association (NCA) until 1934, when the organization broke away to form the Speedway Control Board (SCB); which subsequently promoted the sport itself from 1935 onwards.
Speedway in Aldershot, England has a history dating back to 1949. The first meetings were staged at Boxalls Lane Stadium before moving to the Greyhound Stadium (which featured a 440-metre dirt track) in 1950. Due to financial problems, that stadium closed in 1960 and the sport ceased to be present in Aldershot for fifteen years. Speedway racing has taken place in Aldershot continuously since 1929, when a track operated at a stadium in Boxalls Lane.
Sport has played a large part in Aldershot's development. In the 19th century, Aldershot became a fashionable country for the military upper classes to visit and many sports such as cricket, football and horse racing were played by all sections of society in open spaces commonly known as "The Common". The town therefore developed sports facilities including a cricket ground, hockey pitches, cycling tracks (including an international track) and other areas which could be hired or used on payment.
At this time, sport was concentrated in the south of the area. Alpine has been owned by Aldershot and Fleet town council since 1980. It has a covered spectator area which gives the impression of a very large venue, but it is in fact quite compact and tight. The last major upgrade took place in 2004 with the addition of a Snowflex slope which competes directly with major dry slopes such as Baffins Milton Keynes.
Transport And Communications
The A3(M) provides a direct and rapid link to the M25 motorway, which in turn provides fast access to Gatwick Airport. The town is connected to many other parts of the UK by frequent railway services. It has two mainline stations – Aldershot and Farnborough Main Line – both of which provide direct links to London Waterloo every half hour, as well as other destinations across the United Kingdom. Although several railway stations are to be found within or near the borough, including Aldershot, Farnborough North, South Farnborough, Fleet and Ash Vale and the nearest major international airport is London Heathrow.
The nearest airport with national domestic flights is Southampton Airport (served by BMI) within easy reach of Southampton Railway Station. The A31 provides the main access route from Aldershot into and out of Hampshire. The A333 was a former route to Farnham, but this road is now only partially in official use, passing through Aldershot Garrison; the northern section of the A333 used to run directly into eastern Aldershot, after diverting from the current route of the A31 at Peachey Lane.
The A325 south of the town by-passes it to serve stations to the south and west, including links to Portsmouth, Southampton, Reading and Gatwick Airport. The north of the town is served by the A322 (the old A3) heading towards Guildford to the north. Aldershot has many coach services from various companies which serve as intercity transport. National Express coaches leave from the Parkway concourse which is located near the M3 and A331. The first club, the Aldershot Shots, was formed during 1946.
A few months later,1854 Aldershot was officially established and the Royal Engineers officers designed the military infrastructure that can be seen in the town today: the fortifications, barracks, etc. The Royal Engineers also played a major part in the design and construction of facilities such as the Army Gymnasium, now St Georges Hall Museum, which opened its doors in 1858; Aldershot Military Cemetery (now The Garrison Cemetery), which opened in 1857 and is now The Garrison Cemetery & Memorial Gardens; and of course the Garrison Church (now South Parade Church Community Centre), which was built in 1858.
In 1873 the troops being brigaded at Aldershot, began to call their quarters "barracks", rather than "sheds", a change of name which was officially sanctioned some time later. The first permanent barracks were completed in 1876. They were barrack blocks, loosely grouped into "Sections" (later to become, in the 1990s, Regiments or Batteries). By 1880 all original buildings had been replaced by new brick ones in traditional military style. Princes Gardens had largely been self-termed as the area was not officially named until 1881.
Prior to this date the area was known by names such as 'Camp', but most commonly referred to simply as 'The Camp'. The Director of Staff Duties (for The Camp) was not finally designated until 1821, who from that time was responsible for all instruction and training supplied to the Army. The presence of the military in Aldershot was in direct response to the perceived threat of invasion during the period between 1859-1904, a period known as ‘the era of the short sword’.
A statue of the first Duke of Wellington mounted on his horse, Copenhagen, is situated on the shores of the Round Hill behind the Royal Garrison Church, occupying a commanding position looking over the harbour. The figure was originally gilded and painted, but has since been kept in its present rubbed-down state. The statue is 30 feet (9. 1m) high, 26 feet (7. 9m) from nose to tail, over 22 feet (6. 7m) in girth, weighs 40 tons and is intricately detailed including musculature and veins.
A five-year program was undertaken to design, build, and install the Wellington statue. Hewing closely to the 1838 original portrayal of Arthur Wellesley by John Edward Carew, a bronze copy of Joseph Durham's equestrian statue in Dublin's College Green, was cast at Pimlico Foundry in London, and transported by sailing ship from Falmouth to Cape Town, for onward transport overland to Grahamstown. Round Hill is an elevated spot in central Gibraltar, near Sandy Bay, on the isthmus connecting Gibraltar with Spain.
The summit of the hill is a flat area about 75 feet (23m) in diameter known as Doyle's garden, and became known as Mount Wellington when a statue of Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington was erected there in 1853. A statue of the first Duke of Wellington mounted on his horse Copenhagen, is situated on Round Hill behind the Royal Garrison Church. The statue is 30ft (9. 1m) high, 26ft (7. 9m) from nose to tail, over 22ft (6.
7m) in girth, weighs 40 tons and is intricately detailed including musculature and veins…or so you thought. The Wellington Statue is located on a hill behind the Royal Marines Museum. The museum has a lot of memorabilia from the Marine as well as information about the history of the Corps. There is an audio tour available at this location. Across the street from the museum are military barracks called Eastney Barracks. On 19 September, 1846, the foundation stone of the memorial was laid by Queen Victoria and the cavalcade that accompanied her procession to the ceremony included 10,000 troops.
The monument was designed by Matthew Cotes Wyatt and his son, Matthew Digby Wyatt. It took 15 years to build and cost £88,000 (). Enjoying the support of Matthew Dommick MP Aldershot with its abundance of empty land and close proximity to London made it an obvious choice for an area in which to build up a large field force. The town is also home to the Aldershot Military Tattoo, an annual military music festival held at the end of June, and the Aldershot Festival, which takes place each May.