Our club is open from 6. 00 pm on Tuesday and Thursday evenings and at the weekends we are usually at the grounds in Overton Park, Chiseldon, Wiltshire. If you would like to shoot with us just turn up, introduce yourself and we will include you in one of our shooting sessions. Alternatively you can give Malcolm a call ( This Is Hampshire (thisishampshire.co.uk) ) and he will be able to arrange a time for you to come down and try out this fantastic sport.
Please note that at the moment we have a waiting list for new members as we have reached our maxiumum capacity, This Is Hampshire (thisishampshire.co.uk). Please feel free to call in at any time during our normal session times to speak to any of our members, or if you want further. We’re all about making sure everyone has a great time and gets as much from archery as we can provide. That’s why we offer plenty of social and recreational archery activities to keep you amused, whether that be a social event, open or close season shoot, or even a bit of pre-season training.
We also run monthly coaching sessions to help you along your way, with beginners’ classes, intermediate level tuition and training, and advanced competitive analysis and coaching. The Black Arrows is a mainly juniors archery club and is based at Overton village hall on the outskirts of Overton, West Sussex. The Black Arrows is affiliated to the English Archery Board (EAB) as well as Bowmen of Locks Heath (BOLH) and the National Field Archery Society (NFAS).
Donington Park hosts a classic car event called 'Carfest', which takes place over a weekend in mid-August. It was first held in 2008 and takes its name from the Donington Grand Prix, a motor racing event that has taken place intermittently since 1901 around a track laid out in the grounds of Donington Hall to the south of the village (although not on the site of Donington Park, which is west of the village). Carfest was founded by ITV director and chief executive Charles Allen, with help from Jonathan Ashman and John Grant of ASM Music (which holds the media rights to Children in Need).
As ITV brands all take part under their respective brand names, it is being billed as "the. The event was first held in 2008, and the following year it relocated to Southover Grange. In 2011, the event moved to Codnor Park for a three-year contract. The continuation of this contract was announced on 2 May 2014. The ITV coverage of Carfest has done much to spread public awareness of the Overton area. Carfest is a unique event, with spellbinding displays of classic cars and motorcycles, hot rods, music and entertainment through the day.
A festival for all the family where children can indulge their imagination with fantastic den building, obstacle courses and much more. The event is run by the same team that present the Bristol International Motor Show which is held at Filton Airfield each Spring Bank Holiday weekend. In 2006, Carfest South was attended by an estimated 150,000 people and raised £1million for BBC Children in Need. Overton is a village in the civil parish of Overton-on-Dee, half-a-mile (0.
8 km) south of the small town of Ellesmere, Shropshire, England. The name Overton is Anglo Saxon in origin and means ‘farmstead on the river’. In 2006, Steve Coleman of BBC Radio 2 launched a search for the UK's "Best Festivals Reviewed By Their Own Adverts". Overton Festival came out on top. There are many ways you can get involved with the club, depending on what your requirements are: competing in competitions and leagues; joining a social round; having lessons to develop your technique; or just socialising with other archery enthusiasts.
Church Of St Mary
In the late 11th century Ralf, Sheriff of Shropshire and ancestor of the Leveson-Gower family, built a castle at Overton. The castle was probably a motte and bailey design and was destroyed after a few centuries. Ralf's son, also called Ralf, married Mary de Say and it is likely that his new wife restored the church. It is known that a chapel existed here in 1406 when Thomas de Say received permission to alter the church building but no trace of this remains.
In 1432 the Bishop of Shrewsbury issued a licence for a chantry chapel at Overton which was still active in 1540 when John Leveson made his will; Leves. The church is situated in the village of Overton, Wiltshire, England. It is reached by following the road past the Red Lion Inn (reached on the right by turning off the A303 at Talsworth) that leads to Holcombe. The church is set back from this road and can be approached through two stone gate posts with wrought iron gates and wooden doors.
The church of St Mary is a beautiful example of Norman architecture and stands impressively on the edge of Overton village. The earliest church at Overton was a wooden structure built during the Anglo-Saxon period. A stone building replaced it in 1066 after the Normans had conquered England. The church of St Mary is located in the village of Overton and is part of the Diocese of Salisbury. It is renowned for its glorious medieval rood screen and boasts an impressive collection of historic monuments.
Overton Cricket Club was formed in 1890 by merger of two Overton sides, the O. U. C. C and Overton C. T. C. Since then it has continued to prosper and grow, despite the disruption of the two World Wars. In 1893 a new ground was acquired at Berrydown Farm and this became the club's home until 1966 when Richmond Athletic Ground was purchased in Bitterne Road. The ground at Berrydown was developed over many years with the first pavilion being built in 1895, an upper terrace added in 1897 and a ladies'pavilion also added.
By 1904 a scorebox had been installed and to combat rising maintenance costs additional land (approximately 2 acres (0. 81. Cricket is the most popular sport in the village, Overton Cricket Club were established in 1857 and have played on the ground at Berrydown ever since. The club has many thriving senior teams, including two Saturday league sides (“A” team, and the 1st XI), a Sunday friendly XI, a mid-week Twenty20 League side, plus Under 15s and Under 13s development teams for all age groups from Under 9 to Under 17.
Cricket matches are played at Bridge Street and Berrydown. Cricket is played with a hard ball made of leather on a good-sized pitch at both the Overton and Berrydown grounds. The Overton First XI play in the Wiltshire League Div 2, while Berrydon First XI play in Division 3. Both sides have good records and the Under-17 side that reached the semi-final of the West of England cup earlier this year has been described as talented by some.
Cricket was first played in Overton in the eighteenth century. The earliest known record of a cricket match in Overton is as early as 1798 when Old Sarum beat Overton at the village green. Cricket has been played at one of two locations, known as Berrydown and Bridge Street, since 1828. The club field three Saturday league teams in Division 4 of the Horton League, and a Midweek Twenty20 League side in the Midweek CC Twenty20 League.
Overton United play their football in Division Three of the Hampshire League, a league that they have been members of since being founded in 1954. The club's best season was back in the late 1990s, when Overton United finished fourteenth out of sixteen clubs in Division Four. Overton's second-highest league finish came two seasons later, when they ended up eighteenth out of twenty clubs; the bottom two teams were relegated to Division Five. Although their home ground is Bridge Street, Overton United's closest league football neighbours are Crawley Down Gatwick F.
C. on the other side of the A23 dual carriageway, who were founded in 1997 and play in Division One East of the Sussex County Football League. Crawley Down Gatwick's patchwork strip reflects the diversity of most teams in the Crawley Downs area, whose support is drawn from both Overton and Horley. On 3 October 2012, Tron FC 2B were named West Sussex Football League Division 1 Champions after a 2-1 win at Loxwood as they won promotion to the Premier Division for the first time in the club's history.
The 2s also won the league on the last day, defeating fellow promoted side Firle 3-2. Traditionally, Overton United have been the stronger team, being more successful in recent years. They currently play football in the Wessex League Division 1 They reached the final of the FA Vase competition at Wembley Stadium in 2013 and will do so again in 2015. Overton has two football teams, non-League football club Overton United F. C.
The village is part of the Overton, Laverstoke and Steventon ward which is represented by two councillors to the Borough council. The ward also covers the civil parishes of South Newington and Warnford. The borough council evaluates its wards on the following criteria: communities of interest, a good range of housing and local facilities, transportation links, environmental factors, crime rates, economic factors including employment rates, price competitiveness and a range of other factors assessed using readily available data from various government and other sources.
The village is part of the local government district of Basingstoke and Deane in the county of Hampshire. Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council (BDC) currently has 35 seats, with a Conservative Party majority of 9 since the May 2010 elections. BDC is responsible for services such as refuse collection, planning consent, leisure facilities and council housing. The village is part of the civil parish of Overton, Laverstoke and Steventon. The parish also includes the villages of Overton, Steventon and Laverstoke.
The 2011 Census recorded a parish population of 4,100. The village falls in the 'Calleva'electoral ward. This ward stretches south to Overton and had a population of 5,957 at the 2011 Census. The total ward population at the above census was 6,711. who play at Bridge Street, and Tron FC play at Berrydown Sports Ground. The church of St Mary, Overton opened in 1256 for the first mass. The stained glass is thought to be the oldest of its kind in the county, with a window depicting "The Annunciation" dated to 1350-60.
The origins of the English surname "Johnson" are somewhat obscure. The first recording of the name would seem to be that of Elias Johnson in the Pipe Rolls of Lincolnshire in the year 1194, where he appears to be a witness to a grant of land. It is possible that this man was in fact not English at all, but Danish as he may have been one of the Danes settled by Cnut in this part of England who had come into conflict with the local population and were later deported.
The second known occurrence is again from 1202 when Stephen de Johstone (or Jowston) was listed as being among those barons, who were "advocates of liberty and sworn foe to all cruel and unrighteous exactions. A new concept in the search engine era, a Web 2. 0 website is one that utilizes the potential of the Internet and user created content to improve on or change the state of its user interface regularly. This is in contrast to what is believed to be a traditional website which rarely changes after its initial creation.
A Web 2. 0 website offers information, access and data sharing among its users, and relies heavily on its social networks to organize the larger community into smaller units more conducive for involvement and collaboration on projects. Early in the winter of 1992, legendary game programmer Yu Suzuki was on a cross-country flight from Los Angeles to his home in Japan. He was returning to Tokyo after several months working on what would become Sega's next arcade game system, the Model 1.
The fabric seats shook beneath him as the plane pounded through another set of large air pockets, and Suzuki started to shift uneasily in his seat, trying to ignore an uncomfortable feeling in his stomach. The first recorded account of the tomato in North America is found in an herbal written in 1710 by John Smith, an English botanist who had explored Virginia. The first European to mention tomatoes in North America was William Byrd of Westover Plantation, who noted them at the site of present-day Richmond, Virginia, on September 10, 1709.
Every Christmas, a team of Overton mummers traveled to the house of one of the local gentry to perform song and dance in return for refreshment or money. The performances were usually in front of the public houses in Overton and could have been public occasions, with ale or food supplied by the landlord of the chosen pub. Some of these pubs are still named "Mummers'Bowl". The Overton Mummers are an organisation based in the village of Overton, in the English county of Hampshire.
As this market developed, and as other mills were built nearby, a community grew up to support the mill-workers. The earliest that these could be dated is 1726 on the oldest buildings in "Old Laverstoke" along the road from Overton to Whitchurch (now called the Old Mill Road) and then later in Laverstoke village around the junction of Church Hill, School Road and Old Mill Road at St James's church. Evidence of earlier habitation is available from sections of Roman road.
This was back in 1712 and was the first step into a new world for Henry who had been travelling in France, became inspired by papermaking machines there, returned to England but as yet couldn’t find anyone to invest in his idea. On the River Test around Overton there were two mills: Twyford Mill, which made flour, and Bere Mill which processed crops grown locally (mainly beets). Henry bought the flour mill and converted it to paper production; he also bought Bere Mill.
Around 1840, William Clark O'Conor purchased land at Laverstoke and established the Laverstoke Mills Industrial Village. The factory complex had a workforce of 5,000 by 1870 and by 1900 the mill was producing half of England's supply of envelopes. Founded in 1885, they perform regularly over the Yuletide period outside some of the public houses in the village. The Overton Mummers, from the Wiltshire and West Gloucestershire area, have been performing since at least 1871.
The village has an active open space support group which campaigns for the protection and improvement of local countryside. Several local footpaths and bridleways criss-cross the area and lead from the small car park beside the Dellands down to the nearby River Chet. A popular and well-known route is the Dell Way taking walkers along a quiet country lane through woodland past the Dell Burn to New Gilston. The waymarker is carved with a picture of Little John in memory of one of the Old Gilston villagers who campaigned hard for many years to have this path opened up.
Peafowl, as they are more accurately known, are not natural to the UK and are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act. They were deemed to be unwelcome due to their noise, smell and mess. The Vale of White Horse District Council had initially agreed to arrange for their capture and re-homing. However, villagers have since agreed that they will remain in a 'refugium'near the Dell. This is a fenced area which is regularly cleaned and hosts solar panels, a small herd of deer and pipistrelle bats.
Two peacocks, nicknamed Pierre and Percy, live in the Dellands area at the top of the village. Thought to have come from a lavender farm in nearby Whitchurch and accused by some locals of disturbing the peace with their courtship vocals; a plan was initially hatched to evict them but this was overturned by the Parish Council which has agreed that they can stay. Peacocks often feature in heraldry and were the symbol of the Hera, the ancient Greek goddess of women, marriage and childbirth.
Laverstoke lies on the fringes of the New Forest, and partly within the boundaries of the South Downs National Park. The civil parish borders both Hampshire and Wiltshire and is predominantly agricultural. Its main highway, the A30, connecting Southampton with London and Exeter, was diverted in 1990 to run just south of Laverstoke village to bypass a dangerous section of road through the heart of the parish. The modern village has a number of facilities for the residents, including the parish church of St Nicholas, known as "the Cathedral of the Downs" (pictured to the right), the Oratory Church of Our Lady and St John, several schools, a health centre with pharmacy and dentistry, a sports pavilion with an indoor swimming pool, tennis courts as well as a leisure centre.
Several new housing developments have been built on the outskirts of the village during recent years – Chalvington Field, The New Village (2003), Boars Aldridge Close, Oaks Park (2006), Orchard Close, Ankerside, Southbrook and Steventon Chase. A new neighbourhood of 350 homes is planned for land between Steventon and Overton Hill. In 2006, a Master Plan was developed to help deal with the large projected growth in housing numbers in Overton. This included site capacity assessments for sites in and around the village and a Home Zone proposed that would take advantage of the already congested A30 and Theale Road.
Geography. The Kennet Marina on the outskirts of Newbury provides facilities for leisure craft as well as moorings for local commercial craft, including the water police. The marina is also home to the Castle Class sail training ship HMS Caledonia. The A3 now bypasses the village to the south, with two roundabouts (the Red Post and Foxdown Roundabouts), with the original route down the High Street now designated as the B3035. This perhaps gives some explanation as to why the two Delland peacocks have chosen Dellor as their home.
Sheep fair, a travelling sheep fair held from the Middle Ages to the beginning of the 20th century, most frequently in Western England and South Wales, typically featuring sales of sheep, lambs and other livestock. In Wales it is known as cyngor ar drais; in Cornwall and Devon as sheiring. First held in Horncastle (Lincolnshire) in 1251 (the year before the first Parliament met at Westminster), it is mentioned in records as far afield as York, Beverley and Durham.
In 1292 it was held near Exeter, Devon, one of the earliest markets for lambs. The ancient fair is believed to have given the village its Saxon name of "Shepperton". The derivation of Shepperton is uncertain. One theory traces the first element to an Anglo-Saxon or Celtic person named Sceppa, who might have had a meadow here where sheep were gathered. A second possibility is that the village was a site where taxpayers met their obligations to the king by paying an animal known as a sheep (Old English scēap).
By 1121, the name had evolved to Sepatun. The fair takes place on the village's main street, Overton High Street (part of the A303), and is one of a number of village events organized by the Overton in Bloom committee. The event starts with an afternoon of live music and stalls selling local produce. The fair continues into the evening with a procession led by a flock of sheep accompanied by local Morris dancers and traditional musicians.
Sport And Leisure
The Overton district has a wide range of sporting activities for leisure and for competition. The sporting facilities include a 9-hole golf course, cricket field, tennis courts, football pitches and multi-sports facilities. Lordsfield Outdoor Swimming Pool remains a popular attraction as it is well sheltered from the wind and has an indoor changing facility. Sport and leisure. Overton has over 30 acres of sporting facilities that are managed by the Overton Recreation Centre including a 9-hole Golf Course, Cricket Pitches, Football Grounds, Tennis Courts as well as numerous covered venues.
Overton also has an outdoor swimming pool at Lordsfield and has many societies ranging from Art to Zumba. Sport and leisure. Overton has over 30 acres of sporting facilities that are managed by the Overton Recreation Centre including a 9-hole Golf Course, Cricket Pitches, Football Grounds, Tennis Courts as well as numerous covered venues. Overton also has an outdoor swimming pool at Lordsfield and has many societies ranging from Art to Zumba. The Sheep Fair is held in Overton, near Stonehenge, at the end of July every four years.
The main railway to Great Britain runs through Overton. A goods line ran from the North of the village to Farnborough; there are still some remains (such as a bridge). The railway was used in World War II as an air raid shelter. A concrete bunker can still be found at the bottom of Hitching Way, adjacent to St Mark's Church. Today, Overton has two stations: Overton and Overton Abbey Wood. The village of Overton is served by a railway station on the West of England Main Line.
The station lies to the north of the village, on the opposite side of the Brooks estate. It is operated by South Western Railway and was opened in 1970 as a replacement for a previous station built in 1848 and closed in 1966. The village is served by Overton railway station on the West of England Main Line, which lies to the north of the village and by a weekday bus service provided by Stagecoach South to Whitchurch, Basingstoke and Andover.
The A303 trunk road runs between Overton and Nether Wallop with the A340, known locally as the "Andover Road", connecting to Andover in one direction and Bishops Waltham in the other. It is crossed by the Wessex Ridgeway, a National Trail and former railway line. The spring line popular with hang gliders and paragliders lies just to the north of Overton village. The other main road that runs through the village is the A334, which runs between Andover and Basingstoke, on its way to Winchester.
Tudor To Georgian Expansion
Around 1540, Sir William Herbert, Knight of the Shire, eldest son and heir of Richard Herbert of Coldbrook House, began to build a new house near the south end of the village upon a low hill overlooking the River Test. This house was to become known as Wilton House which today is a luxurious country mansion dating from the late Tudor and early Stuart period. The house was first mentioned in 1476 when it was said to belong to James Phelips.
By 1614, it belonged possibly to Edward Spencer of Rector's Court in Cannington (as there is no record of ownership between 1476 and 1614). It is possible that William Herbert built the original Wilton House so that he could attend Parliament in. A collection of 17th-century wattle-and-daub cottages known as ‘Tudor town’ is on the eastern edge of the city. Archaeological excavations reveal that it was the first urban centre in England, becoming a market town in 1204 when King John granted original royal charter to Gloucester (the only royal charter for a market town in Gloucester still extant) – marking a major shift in the history of the area; with its position on the River Severn and at an important crossing point of the River Avon soon making Gloucester a focal trade centre.
Tudor to Georgian expansion. By the start of the 16th century a period of growth was established with expansion westward along the River Test. The economy in the area was still primarily agricultural based around sheep and corn; with the sheep fair recording 30,000 average sheep penned. In 1550 a tax assessment showed that there were 115 taxpayers (as 0. 25% of local population) in Newbridge Parish then named St Andrew's. While there were only five taxpayers for the Odiham Manor (which included Aldermaston).
Building on medieval foundations, a major planning scheme in the early 18th century by John James left an indelible imprint on the layout of Chessington. Known as the "Chessington Enclosure Scheme", it still influences today's chessington with its large common and many straight tree-lined roads. This is evident in West Street, Sutton Manor Road, Grove Road and Nelson Way. The Enclosure Plan was a two thousand-year lease to builders with certain areas designated for industry (Brick making, nag and bone).
A number of new buildings were constructed during the Victorian era including the surgery and dispensary (1870), a new post office (c. 1876) to replace the old sub-post office in the High Street, the Baptist Chapel on Camburn Lane (1882) and the school on Pillow Park Lane (1889). Houses continued to be built throughout the latter part of the century, but fewer survive unaltered today. The period also saw the installation of gas lighting in about 1878 and electric lighting in 1901, with mains water from 1904.
The old plot of land was sold to the Highways Board in 1864 for just £156, 10s and passed into private ownership. The Old Red Lion pub on the corner of Kingston Road proved popular with travellers but this was demolished in 1978 and is now a parade of shops. The other inns that had served travellers were The White Hart, with stabling at The Red Lion Vaults, and the Bell Inn. These remained popular but closed within a few years of each other in 1853, 1879 and 1888 respectively.
What to do. In terms of attractions there's not a great deal in Overton but it does have the only real pub in the area, The Falcon. There are plenty of things to see and do nearby including The Dorset Ridgeway, Beaminster and the beautiful Lulworth Cove. If you enjoy cycling there's plenty to explore on the many local maps available at the Falcon inn. You might even be lucky enough to find some fossils when you're along the trail.
The last quarter of the 19th century saw the population decline from 1,128 to 903 as young men moved to find work. At the same time many large houses were built in Overton including Brook House and, nearby, Hill House. It began as a celebration of the completion of the local church, and now coincides with the summer solstice. The Overton Mummers are a mummers group from the village of Overton, Hampshire. He mistakenly identified them as the apple of love.
Primary education was provided by Miss Simmons at the Village School until 1891, when a row over pay resulted in her resignation. The village children were then taught by a governess who boarded at Waverley House, and by governesses who visited the pupils each day. No provision was made for secondary education until 1902, when an upper school was built to house the growing number of children of secondary school age. Pupils transferred from Weston-sub-Edge School (built in 1888) and the new building allowed senior girls to be taught separately from senior boys.
A "temporary" annexe comprising two classrooms was added before work on a proper south wing began in 1913. This wing, including a laboratory, opened in 1915. A further extension. In 1875 the school roll had risen to 230 with all the children studying in two rooms, an infant school and a junior school. In 1901 a new school building was opened which was capable of accommodating up to 300 pupils. By the 1940s the village school had developed into a secondary modern school and in 1955 returned to its roots when it became a primary school for children aged 5–11.
The first headmaster of the new school was Mr Banks who laid out the playing field at Church Lane as well as building an extension at the back of the infant department. In 1960 there was an addition to the building housing a dining hall and kitchen, separate staff room and three new classrooms including one for infants only. The school changed its name from The Village School to North Mundham Primary School in 1954 because some of the outlying hamlets were also using it.
Several older villagers recall having to cross the river two or three times a day as they were taught in the outlying hamlets. This arrangement was ceased in 1956 when a bungalow was purchased on South Street and the infants department opened there, with an adequate playground opposite. The school building on the crossroads was taken over by the County Council for use as offices. In 1958 the infant and junior schools amalgamated at the South Street site but both schools kept their individual identities to a certain extent.
The Village School is a very old school building, designed to look like a castle with battlements and arrow slits in the walls. It was built in 1858 as part of a village school, funded by local landowners at a cost of ¾ of a million pounds. It was occupied by the school until 1957 and subsequently used for community purposes. In September 2013 it re-opened following comprehensive restoration with all grades now taught there.
In 1847 there were 68 children at the school. In 1869 the National School was built, with a grant of £500 from the government, so that the parish could secure better services for its poor. There were openings for 23 boys and 28 girls, along with 5 teachers. The school remained in operation until 1960 when it was merged with two other local schools as part of reorganisation of East Hants education facilities. 6FM.