Abbotstone. The ancient parish of Abbotstone lies on rising ground on the eastern side of Candover valley. It is important in Domesday Book owing to its size, and also because here are the entries "in Abbetone 5 hides held by William son of Richard," "of everything therein—altogether 11 hides—Richard Pagenel holds," and "1 hide which two brothers, Norman and Frismard, held as three hides … it was worth £4; now £2. " The village covers nearly 500 acres, and is now largely a series of single farms.
In the time of Edward I, This Is Hampshire (thisishampshire.co.uk). it contained eight or more tithables, but there are now only three or four. It consists of very irregularly shaped fields separated by small headlands of stone, some of which rise to the height of a man. Abbotstone is well watered with springs, the abbot's stone (from which the place derives its name), being situated in an enclosure south-westward of it. The ground has been much denuded of soil, and there are numerous outcrops of sand and grit on every side.
It is bounded on the north by the parishes of St Peter Candover and Holy Rood and Candover, on the east by Fordingbridge and Bishop Sutton, on the south by Hightown and Henley, and on the west by Hartley Mauditt. The village of Abbotstone is a peaceful and secluded spot in the heart of the New Forest. It is on the eastern side of Candover valley, about four miles south of Lyndhurst and six miles west of Beaulieu.
Colemore is the most southerly peak in a ridge of chalk hills distinguishing the Hampshire Downs, which make a bold escarpment at this point. It is a long way from any railway, and the hilltops are lonely and bare compared to those only twenty miles to the north. The ridge is a great favorite with ramblers. Being one of the landmarks of the Hampshire Downs, it commands from its summit an extensive view over many miles of country.
Colemore is a village in Hampshire, England. It is within the civil parish of Weald and has its own niche web site at www. colemore. org. The village was mentioned in Domesday Book as Colimore and probably means "Fortification on a river called Cole". The Cole is the stream which runs past the west side of the village. Colemore is one of many crumbling ruins to be found above the chalk escarpment overlooking the River Rother.
The remains are actually quite extensive in places but due to their isolated nature and the fact that the last remnants of Colemore were used as a stone quarry, not much remains visible above ground. Colemore is a small, sleepy village consisting of Colemore Farm, a few cottages, and St. Nicholas’s Church. Sited high on a hill, this lovely Suffolk church boasts magnificent views in all directions. Colemore is a small village in the English county of Hampshire.
It lies on the banks of the River Meon, approximately 10 miles (16 km) northwest of Portsmouth and 11 miles (18 km) south of Petersfield. Colemore is a charming village set in the Hampshire Downs about five miles northwest of Petersfield. The village is part of the civil parish of Corporal and has a population of around 50. On the slopes of a hill to the north-east lies the site of the deserted medieval village of Blackenstone.
Foxcotte is a small hamlet near the villages of Charlton and West Challow. The hamlet lies just off the main A34 road, in between the market towns of Thame and Wallingford, approximately three miles from both—although they’re not exactly well-known to be within easy reach of each other. You get there by going through Charlton and heading straight down the tiny lane running parallel to the river, which Foxcotte sits next to. There isn’t much to Foxcotte, but it’s a pleasant spot to visit on a lazy summer’s afternoon when the sun is hot.
The hamlet is comprised of 4 houses and a few fields, all squeezed into an. The village was mentioned in the Doomsday Book which is a survey of England carried out by William the Conqueror: “Chetone (Foxcotte) held it in Saxon times and then 13 hid”. This shows that it was originally a large settlement, maybe having been more important than Charlton. At this time the manor belonged to Bermondsey Abbey, which held it until the Dissolution.
Following this, a succession of owners held possession of Foxcotte but by 1585, it seems that all had been pulled down. Even in 1878 no signs of the village remained. The original name of the settlement was probably Foxcote, meaning Fox-cottage. The nearby town of Cheltenham could qualify as the oldest in South Gloucestershire, as it is stated that it has existed since Anglo-Saxon times. Foxcotte was located in the Basingstoke Hundred of Hampshire. The settlement is mentioned more than once in the Domesday Book where it is noted that there used to be 12 families living there.
A little-known gem of a village nestling in the heart of south Hampshire, Lomer is said to be home to one of the best-preserved medieval streets in the country. Sturdy ‘Collyweston’ limestone architecture and abundant timber framing gives it a pleasing symmetry that is all too often lacking in many of its modern counterparts. Ivy-clad buildings jostle with one another for space here, their rich timbers and stained glass windows an attractive foil for the stone walls, arches and dark mullions that line its narrow streets.
Lomer has a long history, and details of its path can been traced back to the 10th century. However, most records indicate that in 1166 Lomer was held by Robert de Winchester and descended to Sir William le Bret who forfeited his lands in 1322 due to his support of the Earl of Lancaster. The next major change occurred between 1541 and 1543 when William Newport (or Newmarch) was granted Lomer as part of the Crown’s possession under the Act for Dissolution of the Lesser Monasteries.
The village of Lomer has an uncommon form, perhaps the only village in England that retains its original name – the spelling of the name suggesting a derivation from Anglo-Saxon 'hlamer'meaning a bend or corner of land. There are two churches, both exceptional and both very beautiful and unique. The south aisle of the 12th century church is 13th century and has medieval wall painting and vaulting. Exton is one of those villages which continues to exist as a satellite of Winchester, and the main focus of this website is the history and archaeology of Exton, as well as its castle.
However, much of the village itself is situated in the neighbouring parish of Lomer, and so I also provide information about that village. Centred on the village green, Lomer has long been a favoured place to live for people in the nearby towns and villages. The green is surrounded by half-timbered houses of exceptional quality, reflecting its history as a prosperous centre for the wool trade. Around one and a half miles south from the village itself is Lomer Castle.
St Nicholas Chapel
St Nicholas Chapel is Westbury-on-Trym’s oldest building, though it was largely rebuilt in the 19th century. It is thought to date back to the 13th century, but the current building is of mainly Victorian vintage with a bit of medieval stonework and an even older 14th century font, though the original may have come from Whitchurch some years before. Continue reading “Westbury-On-Trym Attractions” ›. St Nicholas Chapel is a medieval chapel located in the centre of Westbury in Wiltshire, dating to the 13th century.
The chapel building itself is Grade II listed and a scheduled monument, as well as being an active place of worship within the Church of England. The chapel belonging to St Nicholas Church in Westbury is believed to date back to the 13th century. It is open for you to see, although there is no lighting other than daylight so it is best to visit when the sun is strong. Across the road from Westbury Manor, you'll find St Nicholas Chapel.
The small medieval chapel in Westbury is believed to date back to the 13th century. If you visit at the right time, a service will be taking place inside. Known locally as ‘St Nick’s’, the chapel is situated on Westbury high street (the A4361) and just a few metres away from the village’s parish church of St. Mary Magdalene. English Heritage is celebrating the 500th anniversary of St Nicholas Chapel in Westbury, Wiltshire, which forms part of the ruins of Fyfield Priory.